Another new year has just began and we all make resolutions year after year. This year, I have listed down some resolutions to do as a teacher and here are 5 of them.
- I will stay positive. In 2018, I’ve had my own share of stress and disappointments from all the work that I do. Also, there have been reports on teacher suicides and these reports affect me in one way or another. I even came to a point last year when I asked myself if I can still continue to where I am at or if I need to have a new environment. But each time that idea comes into my mind, an amazing opportunity would come, a door would open, and it would make me realize that there is so much good in what I do as a teacher.
- I will try my best to have a work/life balance. This is difficult since being a teacher is a 24/7 job. It’s true that teachers bring work at home. This add to the stress. So, for 2019, I will try to make all teaching-related work in school and do something else when I am out or when I’m home.
- I will try to dress to impress. This means giving time for myself and taking care of myself more than anything else. They say that if we take care of ourselves, we feel good about what we wear and how we look, our mood becomes positive, our relationships become better, and we become less stressed at work.
- I will stop giving homework. If I would try to have a work/life balance, should I not give this to my pupils as well?
- I will keep my table organized. If you are my co-teacher, you would really know how messy my teacher’s table gets, especially if I’m working on something or if I need to finish some paperwork. For 2019, I will try to keep it messy-free.
I also asked my friends to share their New Year’s resolutions too! I have received plenty of them and this is one of my favorites coming from my colleague at YouTeach Philippines:
“As a teacher, I shall pledge to continue my advocacy as a moulder of young minds. I will continue to search for innovative ways, toola, techniques and strategies to keep my day-to-day interaction and lessons relevant to my kids. As a young teacher, I’ll keep on reliving the EAC DNA in everything that I do – elevate core values, advocate for change, and collaborate communities.”
Joseph Gabriel J. Educado
Guimbala-on Elementary School
Brgy. Guimbala-on, Silay City, Negros Occidental
How about you? What’s your new year’s resolution as a teacher?
Happy teaching in 2019!
P.S. Congratulations to Joseph for winning the Google Chromecast, Virtual Reality Viewer, and Google Notebook from my New Year Giveaway! 🙂